Tips to avoid common puff puff mistakes.
Puff puff is a very common Nigerian snack. It is a common finger food sold by the roadside and served at parties.
I had a lot of issues making puff puff and gave up on making it.
I’ve had a lot of fails with making puff puff. Here are the common issues I had. This post gives a few tips on how to avoid common puff puff mistakes.
- The batter was always watery
- The puff puff soaked up a lot of oil
- It always came out flat
- The batter never rises.
If you find it hard to make, please follow-through this recipe. I’m sure you would get it right next time.
This is a very detailed explanation.
Lists of Puff puff ingredients.
This quantity of ingredients prepares for a single serving(one person). Double the ingredients if preparing for two people (do the math).
- 1cup of All-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 of sugar
- 1/2 of warm water.
Note: I measured all my ingredients with the cup in the above picture👆. The water was measured with that same cup. Make sure you measure all your ingredients with one cup.
Puff puff making
- Measure all your ingredients(flour, sugar, yeast, and water) and set aside.
- It is important to activate the yeast. In a cup add the yeast with a spoon of sugar. Then add a little bit of warm water (from the water you measured previously). This stage is called proofing the yeast.
- Cover the cup containing the yeast and sugar mixture with a clean cloth and keep in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes your yeast should look like this👇. The yeast is bad if you don’t get this result.
- In a bowl mix your flour, sugar, and nutmeg together.
- Pour the activated yeast mixture into the bowl.
- Pour the remaining warm water (make sure your water is warm), then mix the batter. Add extra 2 tablespoons of warm water. Make sure your hand is very clean. Beat batter until smooth.
- Cover the batter for one hour with a clean cloth and keep in a warm place.
- Allow it to rise for one hour(depending on the weather). If the weather is hot(45mins)
How to fry puff puff
Deep fry the puff puff I.e you need a large amount of oil to actually fry it.
To avoid oily puff puff, you need to get the heat from the stove right. Fry on a medium heat.
To determine if your oil is hot enough. Deep the slim part of your wooden spatula in the oil and if you observe some tiny bubble around the spatula. The oil is hot!
- Scoop your puff puff batter into the oil and flip from time to time.
Your puff is ready!
I hope you try out this recipe. Please share this recipe if you like it. Thank you!!!